• 2019—Ongoing: Principal Investigator at Sabancı University Nanotechnology Research and Application Center, Istanbul, Turkey.
• 2017—2018: Honorary Research Associate and Researcher Co-Investigator, University College London, Chemical Engineering, UK.
• 2016—2017: Scientific Consultant, Imperial Consultants (ICON), UK .
• 2016—2017: Senior Research Associate, Imperial College London, Department of Chemistry, UK.
• 2014—2016: Senior-Postdoctoral Research Associate, University College London, Chemical Engineering, UK.
• 2010—2014: Postdoctoral Research Associate, Imperial College London, Department of Chemistry, UK.
• 2007—2010: Doctoral Researcher, Durham University, Department of Chemistry, UK.
• 2002—2007: (Senior) Teaching/Research Assistant in Organic/Polymer Chemistry, Abant Izzet Baysal University, Department of Chemistry, Turkey.
1. Chemistry and engineering of 0D–, 1D–, 2D– and 3D–nanomaterials, particularly carbon-based nanomaterials including fullerene, carbon nanotubes, graphene, carbon nitride, molybdenum disulfide, black phosphorous, carbon dots and Max/Maxene.
• Liquid-phase exfoliation and processing.
• Surface modification via covalent and non-covalent strategies.
• Purification and spectroscopic and microscopic characterization.
• Preparation of their thin films, hydrogels, organogels and aerogels.
• Applications for composites, energy harvesting and chemical sensors.
2. Fluidic chemistry to continuous manufacturing of nanomaterials.
• Design and development of microwave promoted high throughput continuous reactors
• Manufacturing value-added colloidal nanomaterials (e.g. Fe2O3, TiO2, graphene etc.)
• Preparation plasmonic nanoparticles (e.g. Au, Ag) and their hybrids
• Surface modification and thin film preparation of manufactured materials
• Photocatalytic applications such as water splitting, H2 production, OER, CO2 reduction.
3. Supramolecular self-assembly of high aspect ratio nanoparticles to prepare conductive hierarchical composites.
4. Microwave-assisted biopolymer synthesis and their processing.
5. Organic Polymer Chemistry (synthesis, characterisation and test of mechanical properties).
6. Heterocyclic Chemistry (synthesis, purification, characterization and sensing).
7. Organometallic homo/cross coupling reactions (e.g. Sonogashira, Ullmann, Heck etc.) for highly conjugated molecular systems.
8. Silica-based (nano) materials for enhanced emulsion breakdown applications and separation (Surface grafting, characterization and their self-assembly).
9. Computational Organic Chemistry using HyperChem Release and modelling.
1. Lau CC; Bayazit MK; Reardon P and Tang J, Microwave Intensified Synthesis: Batch and Flow Chemistry, The Chemical Record, 2019, 19 (1), 172-187.
2. Wang Y; Silveri F; Bayazit MK; Ruan Q; Li Y; Xie J; Catlow CRA and Tang J, Bandgap Engineering of Organic Semiconductors for Highly Efficient Photocatalytic Water Splitting, Advanced Energy Materials, 2018, 8, 1801084.
3. Clancy AJ; Bayazit MK; Hodge SA; Skipper N; Howard CA and Shaffer MSP, Charged Carbon Nanomaterials: The Redox Chemistries of Fullerene, Carbon Nanotubes, and Graphene, Chemical Reviews, 2018, 118, 16, 7363-7408.
4. Bayazit MK*; Moniz SJA and Coleman KS, Gram-scale production of nitrogen doped graphene using a 1,3-dipolar organic precursor and their utilisation as stable, metal free oxygen evolution reaction catalysts, Chemical Communications, 2017, 53, 7748-7751.
5. Wang Y; Bayazit MK; Moniz SJA; Ruan Q; Lau CC; Martsinovich N and Tang J, Linker-controlled polymeric photocatalyst for highly efficient hydrogen evolution from water, Energy & Environmental Science, 2017, 10, 1643-1651.
1. Bayazit MK and Tang J, High-quality Graphene Via Microwave Promoted Non-destructive Solid State Expansion Of Intercalated Graphite (2018, PCT/EP2018/083868)
2. Bayazit MK and Tang J, High-throughput graphene production method (2017, GB1720494.2) 3. Bayazit MK and Tang J, Graphene production method (2016, GB1601109.0)
4. Bayazit MK, Cao E, Gavriilidis A and Tang J, Nanoparticle synthesis method (2015, GB1515556.7)
5. Shaffer MSP and Steinke JHG, Self-assembly of carbon nanotubes (2014, WO 2014-EP73741) Bayazit MK (shareholder)
• 2011—ongoing: Member of Royal Society of Chemistry
• 2011—2014: Member of the American Chemical Society
• 2014—ongoing: Editorial Board Member of Universal Journal of Materials Science
• 2013—ongoing: Member of Association of Turkish Speaking Health Professionals