• (2019 – present), Sabancı University Nanotechnology Research & Application Center (SUNUM)
• (2016-2019), Postdoctoral Appointee, Materials Science Division Argonne National Laboratory, Argonne, IL
• 2015, Visiting Researcher, Department of Physics, Stockholm University, Stockholm, Sweden
• 2008-2013, Doctoral Researcher, Department of Physics, Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg, Erlangen, Germany
• 2005-2008, Graduate Researcher, Department of Physics, Izmir Institute of Technology, Izmir, Turkey
Physics-based Materials Science including design, synthesis, characterization and understanding of new materials in a single crystal bulk/thin-film form to functionalize them for potential applications in innovative electronic devices
-Novel physical phenomena in layered superconducting materials such as cuprates, pnictides, and hybrid heterostructures
– Investigating the transport characteristics of the intrinsic Josephson Junction arrays in Bi2Sr2CaCu2O8+δ (Bi-2212) high-Tc superconductors under various temperatures, external magnetic fields and doping, in order to elucidate the tunable functionality for potential THz application of IJJ devices.
– The THz emission phenomenon from intrinsic Josephson Junctions in mesoscale mesas of Bi2212 crystals to launch a new technology that will enable integrating a variety of THz functionality onto a single compact electronic chip.
– Characterization of the magneto-transport properties in the novel iron-based RbEu-1144
-Develop magnetic Josephson junction-based electronic devices for quantum computing and cryogenic memory applications.
1. Y Simsek, V Vlasko-Vlasov, A E Koshelev, T Benseman, Y Hao, I Kesgin, H Claus, J Pearson, W-K Kwok, U Welp, Thick Bi2Sr2CaCu2O8+δ films grown by liquid-phase epitaxy for Josephson THz applications, Supercond. Sci. Technol. (2018), 31, 015009
2. M. P. Smylie, K. Willa, J.-K. Bao, K. Ryan, Z. Islam, H. Claus, Y. Simsek, Z. Diao, A. Rydh, A. E. Koshelev, W.-K. Kwok, D. Y. Chung, M. G. Kanatzidis, U. Welp, Anisotropic superconductivity and magnetism in single-crystal RbEuFe4As4, Phys. Rev. B, (2018), 98, 104503
3. [Th Jacobs, Y Simsek], Y Koval, P Müller and V M Krasnov, Sequence of Quantum Phase Transitions in Cuprates Revealed by In Situ Electrical Doping of One and the Same Sample, Phys. Rev. Lett. (2016) 116, p. 067001
4. O. Kizilaslan, Y Simsek, M A Aksan, Y Koval, P Müller, Enhancement of the critical current of intrinsic Josephson junctions by carrier injection, Supercond. Sci. Technol. (2015), 28, p. 085017
5. Y Simsek, Y Koval, K Gieb and P Müller, Superconductivity induced by carrier injection into non-superconducting Bi2Sr2CaCu2O8+δ, Supercond. Sci. Technol. (2014), 27, p. 095011.
American Physics Society (2010-2012, 2016-Present),
The Deutsche Physikalische Gesellschaft e. V. (2008-2013)